If you are interested in finding out more about joining our team as staff or promotional help, please email us with any questions.
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact our volunteer coordinator.
We are recruiting additional staff (who are involved in planning the event), promotional help (spreading the word online and in person), and event volunteers (during the event and the day before if available).
Current pre-convention positions/assignments available:
- Social media posting, sharing, comment moderation, and responding to messages (bonus if familiar with Hootsuite)
- Website updates (WordPress experience preferred, bonus if you have Woocommerce, HTML, and/or CSS experience)
- In-person promotion at various events in the GTA (this involves helping for at least a few hours at our table/booth in exchange for a free/discounted badge to that event). Must have cash handling experience.
- Distribution of flyers and posters to various businesses (comic shops, specialty stores)
- Various administrative tasks – typing up room schedules, inputting data into spreadsheets
- Programming coordination – evaluating programming applications, confirming all panelists/activity leaders for each approved programming item, confirming any A/V requirements for panels, confirming lists of craft materials that require budget approval, maintaining a list of panelists and activity leaders who require discounts/free badges, on-going communication with panelists/activity leaders, confirming that panelists/activity leaders show up on schedule and complete agreed upon programming, communicating to registration team for any unforeseen programming changes, requesting/creating signage for any unforeseen programming changes
At convention positions/assignments include:
- Registration desk – processing sales, distributing badges, answering questions
- Crowd control/badge checking – ensure a smooth flow of traffic in key areas, check badges at key locations that are for event participants only
- Setup and dismantle assistance – decorating tables, posting signs
- Craft room assistance – help attendees create various crafts, make pinback buttons for convention use
- Dealer assistance – check that dealers have all tables and chairs they ordered, watch tables for bathroom breaks (no sales)
- Programming assistance – swap out videos in our screening room, minimal A/V assistance (training provided)
Please note that including our setup and tear down, volunteer shifts will be staggered throughout the day from 8:30am to 10pm. Volunteers are expected to arrive between 8:30am and 9am on the Saturday and/or Sunday mornings if assisting with that day’s setup. Volunteer orientation will occur on one weeknight and one weekend prior to the event. It will be mandatory to attend at least one orientation session if you have never attended one previously, to ensure that you are familiar with the event space and event staff. Exceptions will be made for extenuating circumstances at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age for liability reasons. Preference will be given to applicants 16 and older. If you are under the age of majority, please note that you may require proof of permission from a legal guardian in order to volunteer.
If you have any physical limitations that we should be aware of, please ensure that you note them on the form so that you can receive appropriate assignments. We endeavour to accommodate all accessibility needs as much as possible.
For safety concerns, please note that we cannot approve applicants who have severe anxiety or panic attacks in crowded environments that would prevent them from being able to complete assigned duties. If you are unsure of how you will be able to handle being in a crowded event, we recommend attending casually first before volunteering so that you can adjust to the environment and evaluate if volunteering is something you can comfortably commit to.
Our volunteer registration form for 2020 will be posted in the coming months. To be notified, please sign up for our volunteer mailing list.
If you have previously volunteered with us, you are automatically added to the list. Although we send you limited emails, you can unsubscribe at any time if you are not a current volunteer. Important notices will be sent via Mailchimp to accepted volunteers, please do not unsubscribe if you have been accepted as a volunteer as you could miss important information.